Tuesday

Be Positive Anyway


I can't believe how a little bit of negativity can be so powerful.  I have heard a bit lately and I will say that it lingers in my head and isn't good.  I saw this quote after thinking about it and realize this is exactly right.  I need to evict those thoughts and not let them linger and take the place of the positive I try to fill my mind with.

I think it's interesting that sometimes the more you help and are their for others the more they expect and take you for granted. (only true for a few) I have a younger friend that has confided in me and asked for advice. When she was willing to listen it was easy knowing what to say.  I swear I was God's instrument and spoke to her for Him.  My thoughts and words surprised me and I knew where they had come from. It was a cool experience.  However, my sweet friend continued to error and got really down on herself.  I tried building her up only to be slammed.  I didn't feel I deserved any of that and she even apologized a few times but would turn right around a do it again.  I started pulling away and not responding to her babble.  Even though I knew she was just reacting and that it really wasn't about me it still hurt.
Yesterday it got ugly. (only her actions and words....somehow I was able to remain calm...I never got defensive...hmmmm sounds like the "spirit" was with me)  She was throwing around her negative and mean remarks but they turned from being about her miserable life to me.  If I tried to respond it was like throwing gas on a fire and so I told her I loved her and that she could choose what kind of day and life she wanted.  She started bashing the Church and me.  I testified that the Church was true and perfect but the members aren't and so we shouldn't judge the Church by the members.  (she was focusing on the negative anyway) She told me that I was "Such a Mormon".  I told her Thank You. She said that Mormon's always pull away from her when she tries discussing how controlling the church is.  I told her maybe it was because she was so negative and that the things she was saying just aren't true.  I guess that hurt her feelings.  I'm not going to lie.....this little exchange today bugged me.  I know this gal needs a friend but I also don't think it's right to allow someone to be so rude to you.  I would tell anyone else to let her go.....I can't quite do that.  I'm just hoping she really won't message me again.  I have a few CD's I want to send her and I will just pray my guts out for her.  I love her and she really is a much better person than she gives herself credit for.  This whole thing is so sad to me and I wish I didn't let it bother me.
We really do need to be more thoughtful of our actions and how they might affect someone else.  If we are unkind we need to be big enough to apologize.  I also think that we need to fill our minds and lives with positive things.  The positive chases away the negative.  It's hard to be angry or down with a smile on your face.  It's hard to be unhappy if we are thinking positive thoughts and doing things to make others happy.

I believe that once we allow negative in our lives it (the negative) gets greedy and pushes for more room and quickly fills that space with more negative.  When that happens if you can't get ahead of it get some help.  Pray harder, read the scriptures, go to the Temple, serve more, sing happy songs, surround yourself with good people, walk outside and breathe in the fresh air, look up and smile, look for the sunshine.  If those things don't turn things around go to the Doctor....don't allow yourself to wallow in the muck...it's  a miserable place to be.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Dang wish we would've had more time to chat yesterday. I would have loved to hear more about this. But you handled it perfectly! Don't let others negativity bring you down! What I have learned is it's never really about you anyway... you are just "there" to be used for their negativity. It's always about them.

Dawn said...

I do know that but for reason it still bugs....obviously I wasn't letting it get to me all day or you would have heard :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing our personal conversations with the world. And you did just fine letting me go and blocking me out.
I went through a rough patch. I'm good now. But I will definitely not message you again.
I apologized for my reactions. I'm not as old and experienced as you. I'm learning.
I think I deserve an apology too.

Anonymous said...

You say a lot of things about people you probably shouldn't say out loud. I've been uncomfortable more than once at get togethers by your choice of conversation about other people.
We all get frustrated. People will rub us the wrong way, not fulfill our needs, or disagree with us. That doesn't mean we should vent to the world and let everyone else know someone's struggles.
I trusted you. In confidence. I was hurt by some of the comments you feel were inspired to give me, but I didn't tell a soul about them.
Again, I'm sorry for hurting you. It wasn't about you. It was my own struggles that caused the reactions. And I felt really bad that I took it out on you....especially because it was more than once. I apologized every single time....and took a break to get under control. I'll say it again....I'm really, really sorry.
This makes me out to be a monster with you doing everything right. You said you couldn't quite let me go, but you did that day. Completely.
I've learned from you that deep struggles should be worked out between myself and God, never with other people.
I pray for you now and then that you'll be able to forgive me. And that you can be truly happy always.
Best wishes. I promise I'll never again bother you with my life.....though my life is beautiful now.

Anonymous said...

Last one:
I don't gossip, but I struggle with being positive.
You've aced being positive, but always gossip.
Maybe we should both focus on strengthening our own weaknesses, rather than blasting other people's weaknesses.
I'm not a bad person. I struggled to stay positive during the circumstances I was in. I got carried away. I'm working on it.