Yesterday Kimi registered for School but I didn't get a picture of her. (I was in SLC) Today Jared registered for School and since I went with him I did get a picture. Actually he was in and out of registering so fast that we went to breakfast and that's were I got a picture. We needed to pass a little time before we headed down to SLC for testing. Jared and I have been going to SLC the last few days and spending about 3 hours while he is tested. I have always felt that Jared has ADD or ADHD. Jared's mind is always so busy and I remember saying when he was just a toddler that I didn't believe it stopped until he fell asleep at night....who knows about then.
I talked to the school about it when Jared was in 2nd grade but his teacher was sure that since Jared is well behaved and her son who is very different from Jared had ADD that Jared didn't. I filled out a bunch of papers but I guess his teacher didn't. So....we just dealt with him struggling a little more than I think he should have in school. I believe Jared just gets distracted and has a harder time concentrating than the average kid. He's a smart boy but has struggled off and on. Junior High has been a real struggle....the teachers no longer have the time for individual care and attention. Jared's grades proved that and it was affecting him in a negative way. The good thing about his struggles though is it forced me to get help. I didn't know where to go for the help. I thought the school did those kind of testing....they do but to really get the individual help Jared needed his school required professional testing. YeeHaw....that kind of testing is expensive....really expensive and our wonderful insurance pays for none of it. (I'm no fond of insurance) But....we were blessed and through many steps and tender mercies we were led to the U of U were students do the testing for a small price of $175. Jared was even bumped up the list so his testing was done about 6 months earlier than it should have been.
I know this is happening for a reason....I hope it will help Jared to feel better about himself. Just saying that makes me think of the saying: "If only others could see themselves as we do...or better yet as Jesus does". Grades are important but not nearly as important as Jared's self worth. I wish society didn't put so much pressure on these things. We are all so different and very smart kids and people sometimes just learn different than the stereo type.
The good thing is that Jared went to testing each day with a great attitude and he left with a great attitude too. I am very pleased with him for toughing this out. I hope that there will be help for him when the tests results come back....if not at least he will know he is capable of doing whatever it is he is expected to do.
Cheers! I'm hoping for and expecting a better school year than last. I learned from all that we experienced but I do not want to experience any of it again. I wish it on no one!


0 comments:
Post a Comment