Friday

Family Christmas Party

One of my very favorite family traditions is our family Christmas Party.  When the kids were all small we always gathered on Christmas Eve and talked about Jesus and his birth.  Now we do that more throughout the month.  I think we will add the Nativity to our party next year though.  We have a good time.  We eat together but not the same thing every year.  I use to try to make a nice dinner but now everyone brings something and this year we kept it simple.  We had hamburgers.  We had to keep things moving along though because Zaden's dad was picking him up.
We had Zaden open his gifts first.  Since Parker was getting the same thing he got to join Zaden.  I bet Zaden loved getting to go first and he just finished when his daddy came. Trichelle has already requested when we should have our family party next year so that her kids can be here the whole time.  It's scheduled for Wednesday, December 20, 2017.  It's on the calendar.  We've learned that it's necessary to be flexible with some traditions.  We still have a family party but it's not always on the same day.  I'm okay with that especially if we can plan it for a year a head.
The grands exchange gifts. They draw names at Thanksgiving to see who they get.  I love watching them exchange.  It's so fun because they love giving to each other.  It was fun watching the little ones get into opening their gifts.  Behr loved it this year and was such a helper throwing away the wrapping paper. Even the twins seemed to enjoy it.  Everyone was happy with their gifts.  These kids are just grateful and appreciate everything.  I thought I knew my grands and their favorite colors but when the girls opened their mermaid blankets I learned I was wrong.  I had Kam and Mya's favorite colors mixed up.  I could tell by their faces and when I mentioned it they quickly traded and were both happy as could be.

My kids rotate on who they buy for.  I always enjoy seeing what they choose for each other.  They are very thoughtful.  It's just a lot of fun for me and them.  One tradition I started with my kids is that they each get their own box of cereal for Christmas.  It was an inexpensive way to get them one more gift to open and they always enjoyed it.  Now the grands get a box of cereal.  I thought it was funny this year when we got a  homemade card from Kamryn as part of our gift thanking us for everything and specifically said her cereal.  I remember after Kevin got married when he asked if he was still going to get cereal.  I end it for my kids when they marry but continue it with the grands and those still unmarried. I've had a few friends hear of us doing that and have added it to their traditions...which makes me smile.
I love my house being filled with our cute family.  I love the commotion and joyful noise that accompanies them.  My heart if filled with gratitude and love for each individual.  It's such a fun journey.  This year I talked to a few family members about adding to our family party.  There have been times that we have played games, or decorated cookies and I was wondering if we should do those things again.  But when it comes right down to it, I notice that what everyone really loves is just being together.  They will stop and do extra things but seriously I think just visiting and being together is their favorite thing.
Our neighbors were doing a live Nativity and I was so excited.  I love talking about the Nativity and seeing it acted out.  I really thought it would be fun for our family to go and watch it.  I know a few were on board when I first mentioned it but when it came time to go everyone was too content just doing what they were doing.  I was hoping just one person would say they really wanted to go with me but I only had one say they were good either way.  I seriously considered just going by myself and figured no one would even know I had but then I just thought I should stay home and enjoy my family.  I'm hoping that next year they will do it again and that I will be able to go.
(their pictures of the Nativity)

I must say though that this year I have been able to do most of the things I had wanted to.  I have really enjoyed this Holiday Season.  I have met with friends and we have had our parties with our families.  I have enjoyed the wonderful Christmas music and lights.  It's been a perfect season of celebrating.  I even did a few things for strangers and decided that I will continue those things throughout the year.  I get a good feeling when I am nice to others. haha ☺

0 comments: