I was privileged to give the opening prayer for the Funeral Services. My heart was full and I just decided to let the spirit guide my words so I'm not sure what was said but I felt peace afterwards. Jayhmie read the obituary and added to it and said a few of her own thoughts. Tiffany, Davaleen's daughter expressed her love for her mom and said multiple times that Dave was a good mom and wonderful grandmother. A cute gal that I believe called Dave, Momma Dave read a poem that sounded like she wrote it...it was beautiful. At that time they opened it up to family and friends to share their memories or feelings. I had a "feeling" a few days earlier that they were going to do that and knew that I needed to step up and share my feelings even though I was asked to also say a prayer. I had talked to Jodi and Kathy about it and we all thought that we needed to share how wonderful Dave was. When they first opened it up to everyone Dave's friend, James, got up. (he was very involved in the 48 Film Festival we helped Dave with...he's great) He shared some nice things about Davaleen and expressed his love for her. Everyone sat still waiting for someone else to make the move and so Jodi did. Jodi shared some fun memories of Dave including their first lunch. She told of how Davaleen had shared with Jodi her gratitude for letting her join in on their fun and how it literally saved her life. Jodi also shared a fun assignment Davaleen had wrote about turning 50....everything Jodi shared was perfect and described how talented, fun and kind Davaleen was. I jumped up next and shared how Davaleen had came to the early morning prayer for Jared and passed out water to everyone going to help search for him. I also shared some of the same feelings I expressed in my earlier post. Losing Davaleen has left my heart feeling a little empty. Jolene, the gal who wrote the song about Angels also shared her experience with Davaleen. I thought everything was perfect. They shared the 5 minute film that Davaleen had made for the 48 hour film festival called Mission by Choice...it made people smile and laugh and lightened the air. Then the "Sista's" sang the beautiful song....that wasn't so perfect! We sounded pretty good when we practiced but for some reason the music wasn't loud enough and neither were our Strong Singers.....the words were beautiful though and I think that's what matters most. Kathy gave the closing prayer. I know that Davaleen was pleased with her service, I sure was.
A few of us carpooled to the Cemetery and Kathy's hubby dedicated the grave. The day was beautiful and everything went well. We put on our happy faces and continued on.
We were the ones in Davaleen's 48 Hour Film Festival and also the ones that participated in her funeral services...
I was proud of Patrick. He conducted the funeral service and did a great job. He was so thankful for everyone's help and input. My prayers will continue for Dave's kids...they are going to need some extra help and I know they will get it.
Jayhmie somehow pulled off getting Davaleen's ward (branch) to do a family dinner afterwards. I know she did that after leaving the Mortuary on Wednesday because we had talked about doing it but knew it would be too stressful that late. We were all invited but had already decided to go to lunch together. We chose to go to El'Matador since that is where Davaleen had first had lunch with Jodi and the others. We got the same table....and I sat where Dave had sat except for the picture. I made Jodi trade me places since I think the smaller people should be closest to the camera.
Sometimes I think it's hard to be happy when you feel so sad. We just lost a dear friend and I almost feel guilty for Carrying On! But...that is what we have to do and so we do!
Cheers to Friendship and Cheers to Davaleen!
I posted this picture simply because it makes me laugh and laughing makes me happy.






0 comments:
Post a Comment