Thursday

About Me

One thing that not many people would know about me is that I once played the Clarinet and the Tenor Saxophone.  It was back in Junior High School.  I remember being tested to see which instrument I would be good at and I was told that I should play the flute.  However, my mom found a clarinet and so that is what I played.
I loved playing the clarinet and I loved band and the kids in the class.  I was also very good.  I liked to practice and was very competitive about where I sat.  I usually sat in the first chair and that is where I liked being.  Mr. May was our teacher and I loved him.  He was so good with kids and knew how to push and encourage us in all area's of life.  He was also  good looking which made me want  to go to class and be good.  I think of all the teachers I ever had Mr. May was my favorite and taught me the most.

In the summer I would go to beginning summer band and try a new instrument.  I remember trying the tuba one year and it about shook my face off.  It was not my favorite instrument but I could play it.  In ninth grade I wanted to be in the Stage Band because they played really fun music and got to compete with other schools.  Clarinets aren't usually in a Stage Band and so Mallory (played the flute) and I played the tenor saxophones.  We were able to borrow the schools and I really enjoyed playing it.  The fingering is so close to the clarinet and the flute that we were both able to play it.  I remember carrying that big thing home and back to school.  Mr. May saw me one time and decided that he would give me and a few other kids a ride.  We practiced before school and so it was nice to have a ride. I really enjoyed band and playing both the clarinet and the saxophone.  My favorite music on the clarinet was Sleigh Ride...I liked playing 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago with the stage band.  Fun Memories!

I continued to play in High School but only my first year.  It wasn't fun anymore.  I never had to practice to hold my first seat position and I didn't care for the Band Director.  My mom sold my clarinet to the neighbor across and the street and I loved listening to her play....she was good too!  

At this point in my life I wish I hadn't quit.  I tried playing years ago when one of our young women brought her clarinet over for me to try.  I couldn't remember the fingering anymore when I looked at the music.  I wish I would have learned to play the flute and the piano too.  I think music might be one of my hidden talents that I might have buried.  Maybe someday I will dig it up and up and try again. Playing these instruments and being in the band moved my soul.

0 comments: