Thursday

Daddy's Funeral


I knew losing my daddy was going to be hard.  I never thought about losing any of my parents until about a year ago.  I was taking my mom and dad to their neighbors funerals and that's when reality hit.  I remember being so thankful that I was lucky enough to still have both my parents.  I dreaded this day but knew it was approaching.

In my mind 80 is still young.  I had a friend recently tell me that any thing over 80 is a bonus.  It's funny to me that 80 seems young...it's only because I am coming up on it so quick.  It's a good life to reach 80 and my dad passed that.  Daddy had a good life.  I did see some slowing the last few years but it was still good.

I anticipated that today would be heart breaking and it was but not like I had thought.  I believe the prayers of others helped soften the hurt.  I had many friends sending me sweet, thoughtful texts and messages and I could feel their love and it helped so much.  I couldn't have got through this without the love and support of my family and friends.  They strengthen me so much.  I had a few friends surprise me by showing up to the family viewing and graveside.  It was a wonderful surprise that meant so much.  My friends are my family and there is always someone there for me physically and in spirit.  I am thankful for that.  Tonya and her sweet mommy were here today too but only ended up in group photo's...kind of hard to see.  Tonya and her mom have been there for me since I was five years old...oh how I love them.
The day was beautiful.  It was warm and wonderful....so perfect for a graveside service.  When we pulled into the cemetery we thought there must be another funeral as well because there were so many people and cars.  In reality they were there for us.  My daddy is loved and so is his family.  It was a wonderful sight and it made me cry. (again)
The grandson's were the pallbearers. Grandpa John must be so proud of his posterity.  They are all great young men.  I know I was proud as I watched them carry their grandpa to his resting place.  The thought came to me "he's not heavy...he's our grandpa".  (Little "jingles" pop into my head at times and sometimes a word will change to fit the event.)
So many people....so much love! All of my dad's nieces and nephews came...he was the last of his generation left from his family. A sad day for each of us but we know it won't be long until we meet again.  I can't wait for the next "Hello".  My friend messaged me that the next Hello is for Eternity.  That was a comforting thought and I used it in my talk.
                                 
We had a time for sharing memories so that anyone could if they wanted.  My sister started it off (I was so proud of her).  I loved the memories she shared.  Dad taught her math because she would need it the rest of her life.  She told how he was confused in the Hospital and said he was Esther Ruth and his birthday was a combination of his and mom's. We all mentioned his tomatoes and his singing to us.

I got up next and expressed my love and respect to my mom.  I am impressed with her strength and how she was so good to my dad and the respect she showed to him.  I shared how my mom had said that she saw daddy in each of us.  Even though I don't know what she see's this is what I see: Terry has an unconditional love for everyone and sees their good. Susan has a quiet manner like my dad.  She's soft spoken and when she has something to say everyone listens.  My little brother Bennett looks so much like my daddy and loves to fish and hunt like daddy did.  It's my hands that remind me of my daddy.  They look like his and I hope they will always be kind like his.  I am even starting to get the purple arms like my daddy. (I wish I didn't have that similarity)  I wrote a poem to sum up a few memories.  (posted at the bottom)
My little brother said that dad told him never to throw anything away.  You just might need a bike pedal someday.  Bennett had found 2 bike pedal's in the garage.  I liked how Bennett said that dad lives on in everyone that was there.  William and Jaydan (grandson's) shared a few memories and my cousin Kay said a few things.  It was winding up and the Bishop didn't think anyone else was going to share and just about that time my big brother stood up. (I was so glad)  His words were good but my memory isn't and I can't remember now what he said.  Everything was all loving and wonderful though and I think daddy would have been pleased.  We kept it simple.  My dad liked simple and called himself a simple man.
I believe he was smiling and knows how much he is loved.  Daddy will surely be missed. He was a simple man that had a huge impact on all of us!
My Poem:
I wanted to be like my daddy and so I ate ketchup on French toast, I fished and even gutted the things hoping my daddy would boast.

I got my feddish for chocolate from my daddy dear.  He liked chocolate like I do and always had some near.

I loved to sit on daddy's lap and watch the baseball games….I knew so many players and could even call them by name.

My favorite place to watch TV was laying on daddies behind…it never seemed to bother him I'm sure he didn't mind.

I remember standing on daddy's feet, around the kitchen we'd dance….so thankful for these memories I'm glad I had the chance.


My daddy use to darn his socks he'd put a light bulb in the toe…he could have just bought new socks but instead he chose to sew.


Daddy was so modest as modest as can be, he'd poke his head from his room and look both ways then hurry across to the bathroom being sure no one would see.

One time for valentines he gave me Mystic Mint Cookie, my favorite at the time…daddy knew how to make us smile he was so always so very kind.

Daddy used Duct tape for everything his old orange coat was covered too…his grandson liked it almost as much and completely transformed his shoe.

Daddy taught me to drive a car and I went a little too fast… he had to pull the brake a few times to make sure that we would last.

Daddy was so tender and hardly spanked us kids at all and when he did I remember hearing him stand by the steps and bawl.

He puttered around the yard and made wonderful creations in his shop…he grew tomatoes, flowers, apples and grapes we liked them all a lot.

Daddy liked to take pictures and I do too…it helps me to remember all the things that we all do.

Mom and dad were thrifty and they never had a debt…I learned that wonderful lesson from them… one I won't forget.

He saw the good in others and taught me to do the same…playing with others emotions was never to be a game.

We all loved to hear him sing it always made us smile.  When he played his fake "air" ukulele he strummed that thing with style.

Growing up my mommy told me that I was daddy's favorite little light…but I understand my daddy's heart and he loved each of us with all his might.

There was one however more special than the rest…he padded her bottom and winked at her. ..yep! His wife he loved the best!

When Mom asked dad to try harder to get better to her he did reply, For You my Dear ….I will try!

Daddy is our Angel now to help us through this life; he will watch over and help us whenever there is strife.

I know he loves us all so much and we all love him too…Families are forever I know this to be true!

We'll say Good Bye for now as sad as it might be…but our next greeting will be Hello for all Eternity!


0 comments: