Friday

We are on board.....choo choo

I had a meeting with the counselor at the Jr High today along with Jared's teachers and the VP.  I was a little emotional before going in for different reasons and so tears were just barely under the surface and didn't take long to spill out.  I was impressed with Mary, the counselor, for stepping right in and having my back and taking over.  When I talked to Mary a week ago I didn't cry.

We have a plan for Jared.  We may not need to use the plan but we have it if needed.  All the teachers expressed how well Jared is doing this year.  He is participating in class and asking questions and getting help when he needs it.  I am thrilled to hear that and I'm not surprised since we have really tried everything we know to help heal this cute boy from the inside.  His grades aren't wonderful still but I don't care so much about the grade....I care about how he feels about himself.  He's aware of his issues and knows that he needs to accept how he is and just do his best.  One of Jared's biggest problems was being too hard on himself.  He saw his weaknesses much bigger than they were.

I want Jared to be challenged in school but I don't want him pushed over the edge.  We talked about overwhelming him and we don't want that to happen.  If Jared gets overwhelmed he shuts down and doesn't even try.  At this point the only things the teachers will probably do for Jared is acknowledge him and make sure he does understand what he is expected to do and that he understands how to do it. I know that seems like nothing but I saw Jared's grade change from an F to a B because I emailed the teachers last year and one of them responded by letting Jared know he wanted to help him.  Everyone likes to be acknowledged.  Some of us make it obvious and others don't.  Jared doesn't and so I think he gets looked over.

The teachers asked if I was okay with Jared receiving a  "C" and I told them yes. (heck at this point I am okay with any grade that will pass him)  I'm not sure what they thought about that but like I said earlier a grade is just a letter.....my kid is much, much more than that.  I know Jared's desire to do well has increased....his whole countenance and attitude are better this year.  I also know that Jared will do well in life.  He is smarter than the report card shows.  He is a harder worker than those teachers will ever realize.  School is his challenge but we are on board and have the teachers and staff behind us....choo choo!

0 comments: