Wednesday

Helping isn't always Helping

I get confused on knowing when helping is enabling.  I'm a mom and I want to help my kids but I have learned that sometimes NOT helping is the biggest help of all.  The reason this thought even came up is because Kimi "earned" some Science Packets and wants me to help her.  In order for Kimi to "clip" Science she was required to get a B or better in reading.  When I got notices saying her grade was lower than a B and I tried talking to Kimi about it she told me she knew and had it covered.  I reminded her she would get a packet that cost $35.  I also reminded her that I would not pay for it or help her with it.  The packet would require lots of reading and comprehending which is Kimi's weakness.  She knew!!! So I let her handle it and she earned 2 packets....each $35.  She didn't complain about having to pay for her packets but she needs help and I don't know how much to help her.  She's also on a time limit.  I have said it many times and I will say it again....."I hate homework".  I didn't mind when it was mine but I get frustrated that I am still doing it....or at least expected to help with it.

I tried thinking "what would Jesus do?"  I can honestly say "I don't know!"  I could see him making her pay the consequence of her choice and actions......but I can also see him helping her out.  I know I will help her out because she really does need it.  I hate the fact that you can buy your grade!  Ugh....so frustrated!

0 comments: