Over Conference Weekend and Spring Break we took Jared to Palmyra. It was a wonderful experience for us all. We walked through the Sacred Grove before conference on Sunday and felt the spirit. The morning light was shining through the trees and it was glorious. We decided that the grove might have looked very similar to what it's like right now. It's early spring just like it was when Joseph Smith went to pray.
We watched the Conference at the Palmyra Inn where we were staying. I really enjoy conference. A lot of talks spoke to me but President Uchtdorf's brought peace to me as he spoke about much of what I learned at the conference I just attended with Trichelle. The event I went to wasn't sponsored by the church but it taught about things that will help us get closer to our Heavenly Father and so it was perfect. After Conference we visited the Hill Cumorah visitors center. We looked around and watched a few video's. Jared went to the top of the Hill but Larry and I only made it part way. It's steep and we chose not to.
The next few days we visited the Sacred Grove again and got to see the inside of some homes that are replicas of what the homes might have been like. We enjoyed the sister missionaries that taught us. We visited the Whitmer farm and the Susquehanna River where Joseph Smith was baptized. So many good things happened there and the spirit was serene.
We went to the Printing Press and enjoyed the tour there and some more inspiring video's. The spirit testified again to me that Joseph Smith was a true Prophet and this work is true. I have never doubted that but was reasurred anyway. I felt a soul connection with a darling missionary from the Dominican Republic. She lives in the mission Kevin served in. When she first saw me, she grinned and said "have we met?...I feel like I know you." It was fun visiting with her. The sister missionary that showed us through the Print Shop reminded Jared of our good friend, Emmalee winter. She really was very similar in looks and actions. We shared their pictures with each of them. ☺
Our little vacation was relaxing and low key. We weren't in a hurry to get from one place to the next and I liked that. We just enjoyed where we were and the events that took place there.
We met a cute family from Farmington and enjoyed a hamburger and some ice-cream with them at the Chill and Grill one night. Those little cones were "kiddy" cones. This family was spending a week going to all different places. I think Elizabeth is brave for taking her kids by herself. Her oldest son, Nathan, would love to join Jared on his mission in a year when he graduates. Alaska is Nathan's first choice of places he'd like to serve. I know that made Jared feel even more blessed than he already does.
Since we had seen everything in Palmrya we decided to take Jared to Niagara Falls our last day. I was pregnant with Jared the last time we went. It was an enjoyable day. Our time away from home was enjoyed and well spent. It was time to head home...or at least we thought it was time. When we got to the Chicago airport our flight was delayed because of the yucky weather occurring around the states. We were fine with that but then it just kept happening. Our plane did make it in but someone found a nail in a tire and so the tire needed to be replaced. I like that the plane is inspected so well. Anyway to change the tire the plane needed to be taken to a hanger where all the tools are which takes a lot of time. We got delayed again but before the tire was changed it was decided that our flight would fly on a different plane out of a different terminal. Alrighty then....everyone moved to the new gate in the new terminal. We were ready to board this plane but again were told that there was a problem with one of the emergency doors and it needed fixed. I really like how thorough the planes are checked out. This problem didn't take long and we actually got to finally board. By this point we should have been home and in bed but at least we were boarding. We arrived home about 3:00 am.
I really enjoyed our time away and I'm excited for Kimleighel to go with the young adults to these sites and others this summer. We were going to take her with us until the young adults said they were going. She will get to see and experience more but I think this was perfect for Jared right now.
I'm grateful for Joseph Smith and his prayer. I'm thankful to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ knows each of us by name. I'm grateful that a path was made so that we could all be guided back "home". We are very blessed to have the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be taught from and to be spoken to. We really are loved so much! I love Heavenly Father, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I'm happy for the journey that is mine. It's unique to me as everyone's elses is to them. Life is pretty darn wonderful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










2 comments:
I so want to take my family back there! Dave and I were in the Hill Cumorah pageant when we were engaged and I can't believe we never took our boys there! It's one of my biggest regrets! There is nothing like the feeling in the Sacred Grove! Oh, I want to go back!
I also found it interesting that you were there about the same time Joseph received the first vision. I wonder if there were leaves on the trees or if they were bare like they were when you where there?
Post a Comment