Wednesday

The Temple is the House of God

Wow today my experience at the Temple was pretty amazing and quite unusual.  As we went up to the sealing office the Sealers all told me that I had been missed and welcome back. (I missed the last two weeks because of Kauai and Rigby)  They sure made me feel good and loved.  There were six sisters today and two men.  When we have this many of us we are lucky to get to the alter twice.  Well today I was called up four times.  Right off I was called up to join an older gentleman and seal marriages and have daughters sealed.  I was happy that I was able to help right away since I wasn't positioned on the chairs to go first but maybe I was on the list with all of our names.  I sat back down and Brother Hal and Sister Joyce Stoddard were called up to the alter.  I had the thought quickly pass through my mind that I might be called up to be a daughter.  That would be so out of character but then I was called up to be the daughter.  I kind of laughed and said I guess I was getting my turns over with at the start.  I softly told Joyce I had that thought and she said it wasn't a coincident and that it was meant to be.  The spirit hit me and I knew a message was being sent to me...or several.  I felt so loved.  I thought of being sealed a year ago to my parents and felt like my daddy was near.  I had a prayer in my heart that I would understand.  One of the mother's names was Obedience.  Boy that stood out and hit me pretty hard.  Last week I had to repent of murmuring.  I had complained about being told how to dress for an activity...no big deal really, right?  Well of course it is.  We are taught to be obedient.  I want my kids to be obedient even if they don't understand why and I expect them to have faith in my parenting.  But here I was saying how dumb it was to be told what to wear and of course later I understood that by wearing what was asked was proper and right and I repented on the spot.  The message was clear to me that I needed to be obedient and have a good attitude about being so.  It was pretty awesome and the message was received with humility.  I didn't feel bad at all. (I wasn't in trouble)  I just felt like a prayer was being answered.

I sat down and I knew my turns were over and that was fine.  However when the Sealers traded positions I was called to the alter again.  I kind of felt silly since everyone hadn't had a turn at all yet.  I mentioned that and so one of the other sisters went up.  I had so many thoughts going through my mind and a constant prayer was in my heart.  No doubt about it I was being taught.  It wasn't long and again I was called to the alter.  There were still two sisters that had only been up to it once and even though I reminded the Sealer of that he said "I know and I will get to them in a minute."  Okay, so I went up to the alter for my third time.  I was praying that I would understand the message that I was suppose to be receiving.  Then the thoughts came to be about the contrast of the day I had planned. (until last night..when I changed it)  Here I was sitting in the House of our Lord...where light and goodness and love abound.  I was surrounded by heavenly angels (even my dad) feeling of our Saviors love.  My plans for tonight were to go to a Haunted House with some friends.  When I think of it I think of dark and creepy.  I knew it would be fun even though it would be scary.  But...is that someplace I could feel the spirit of our Savior...something I pray for every single day? (just my thoughts in the Temple) I knew I was suppose to tend my grands and not attend that activity.  I'm not saying going to Haunted Houses is wrong by any means  but I know it would have been wrong for me on this day. I may never know exactly why I wasn't suppose to go. I really think I would have had a great time with my friends laughing, screaming and being silly but I can't deny knowing I wasn't suppose to go or what happened in the Temple.

I talked to Trichelle about this experience later and she said that we all take things so differently.  Our conversation made me think of another conversation I had with Julie just the night before.  She is having Kamryn (8) read The Child Called It.  To her and Kamryn it's just a book and they don't internalize it at all. (It's about severe abuse) It was much different for me and my kids when we read it.  It made me physically sick and so very sad.  Justin passed out and he was in High School and Trichelle was affected by it the way I was.  Right there that shows how we take things differently and what's right or wrong for one isn't for another.

I remembered back to when I was a teenager and loved watching scary movies.  I was watching one alone in our basement one night and holy cow real evil spirits decided to attend.  It was beyond creepy and something I wouldn't choose to experience again.   I believe we invite the spirit by our actions.  I want to be surrounded by good spirits and so I need to stand as a witness of God at all times and in all places just like I have repeated hundreds of times. I've had a few experiences that have taught me that.

I'm far from perfect and have a hard time doing the will of the Lord most of the time.  Sometimes I know I hear the whispering of the spirit and when I do, I know I need to follow.  Maybe today was a test of  following the spirit.  It wasn't easy for me to change my plans. (I really wanted to go) I love hanging with my friends but I want my family to know they come first and maybe by changing my plans to go with my friends so I could help out  my daughter was what all this was about.

***The thought that was shared Thursday at Special Needs.   I think it was meant for me.
"Spiders and Bats and scary Black Witches; Skeletons and Ghosts that go Bump in the night.  Haunted Houses, Monsters, Zombies and Vampires and everything that gives us a fright!  Let the only  "Ghost" we should worry about, be the Holy Ghost with it's light.  Then we will have peace and happiness forever, without any strife in our life!"

***On Saturday I was sharing my experience with Carla (not a member of my faith) and right away she pointed out how I was sealing daughters while I was at the alter.  I got chills immediately and tears came to my eyes.  I hadn't even thought about that and her she was pointing out that I was a big part of sealing daughters to families and she thought that was also a message for me.  She's right!

0 comments: