Friday

Special Needs Girls Camp

Well Girl's Camp was awesome and a huge Success!  Everyone was fine with having a few day camps at Barbie's and some even think this is how we should have camp every year for now on.  Everyone still came and had a great time.
Our camp director Stephanie Wray planned so many fun and wonderful activities.  There was no way the girls were going to get bored.  She had things for them to do all the time.  We only had one small squabble and I noticed a few cool things.  Krystal had made a comment that she didn't want to hear Christmas music that Nicki was playing.  Nicki got all offended and threw her phone in her purse and let out feelings from long ago.  I was trying to play it all down and have the girls drop it.  Nicki wouldn't and neither would Krystal.  Ann Marie who is Krystal's friend actually stood up for Nicki and told Krystal to leave if she didn't like the music. Usually girls will gang up and stick together and gossip about someone if something like this happens, but these girls do what is right.  The commotion caused a chain reaction and some of the girls started crying.  Seriously some of these girls souls can't handle quarreling.  One gal in a wheel chair reached across the table to a gal that was crying and said hold my hands.  She was comforting her.  That's what this group of girls do...they encourage, love, support, and comfort each other.  It didn't take long for everything to settle down.  I noticed a little later that Krystal was apologizing to Nicki.  I thought that was a wonderful act of kindness.  Everything was settled and all bad feelings were erased.  What a great example my friends are.  There was one other incident where one of the gals couldn't find the restroom and wet herself and was crying.  The girls around her didn't make fun of her but comforted her and told her not to worry things like that happens sometimes.  What examples!
I have the best counselors and I appreciate them so much.  Barbie (my first counselor) volunteered her home so we wouldn't have to cancel camp. She helped me with the food too and is so great with the girls. Virginia knows who needs help and when and is always serving someone.  I can count on her for anything.  Carla just wanted to help if we could use her and of course we could. Carla helped a lot with the food since Barbie and I took that on with our hubs. She covered for me since I felt like I needed to be with the girls as well.  Dyan, my second counselor was at a family reunion and wasn't able to come but is a great counselor.  Mona Ruth (called momma Ruth by Jess) is always helping the gals too.  I seriously am so blessed.
Our camp was based around Dr. Seuss.  We talked about the Moral's to many of his stories.  There are so many good lessons that can be learned from Dr. Seuss.
The guys, Larry, Scott and Roger helped with the  dinners both nights. Larry thought it would be funny to put fake frogs in the spaghetti since we saw a live one the night before when we were leaving and some of the girls got a little freaked out.  He's crazy like that!
The weather was nice and the trees in Barbie's yard were a blessing.  We went to the Steogers on Friday night to have a campfire.  The Steogers are so gracious and kind.  We used eight of their nice tables and even a cooler of theirs as well.
Besides being bumped from the cabin, the band that Stephanie had coming decided to cancel just two days before our camp.  We thought a movie outside would be fun and it would have if it would have worked.  For some reason it didn't and so Stephanie ended up reading the story instead. (one about Horton the Elephant)  NO one complained and Virginia said it best in her testimony.  For having so many things so wrong, everything sure turned out just right.  It was a perfect camp in my opinion.  I love this group of gals and leaders.  They have strong testimonies and the love overflows from each of them.  They make my soul happy.

***On Sunday the Special needs group came and did our Sacrament Meeting.  My heart was so full of love for each of them.  I was excited to share my friends with my ward.  Everyone did such an awesome job.  Holy Cow...this group of Young Men and Women are my favorite!  I'm so glad that I believe in God and allow Him to guide me through this life!

1 comments:

Jodi said...

I think it was supposed to turn out this way! Looks to me like it was PERFECTLY IMPERFECT for a reason!
Glad Carla could come and help! She looks good!