Wednesday

Mom's Surgery

Today my Mom went in to get her knee repaired after falling last week and dislocating it.  Since she has hurt herself I have had the task of helping her bathe.  I will say it hasn't been so bad but it's because we make "light" of it.  My sister has been spending the nights and helping her get up to go to the bathroom.  She's with mom and dad as much as she can be.  So I thought helping out with baths was something I could do.  My sister wanted to see how I helped her and so one day she came in and while rinsing mom I said: "Now we hose her down".  Hahaha we all laughed and have used the term since.  We refer to the whole bath now as time to "hose" down mom.  My mom told Trichelle that for a nickel she could watch.  Holy Moly we have a good time.

I have enjoyed this time with my sister and parents.  We have had some good visits.  I have seen the love between my parents that I have prayed for my whole life.....it's there....they really do love each other.  My mom has complimented me and hasn't put me or anyone down.  I cherish that!  She loves me too!  I learned yesterday after mom's surgery that my dad use to be the class clown and was out spoken.  I have never known that....the dad I know has always been quiet and submissive.  My dad had a brain hemorrhage in High School and he changed from it.  I didn't know that either.  So I take after my mom and my dad!!!  They were both silly too! (mom still is)

My mom went in to have her knee repaired but ended up getting a full knee replacement.  The Doctor had spent hours (4) reviewing her tests and decided that a replacement might be the better things to do.  People have been praying for my mom and I believe the Doctors decision was an answer to all the prayers.  Dad, Susan and I all felt this was the best decision also.  Mom's knee will be stronger and the recovery should be easier for mom to be a bit more independent.  The surgery went well and mom woke up happy.  She was making me laugh each time someone new came in to help her.  She would question them as to why they were there.  The Aid she had when I left was extremely cute.  He came in with a smile and mom asked him why he was smiling. He said he was happy to see her and was there to take care of her.   I told her to be glad that she didn't get a grumpy nurse or aid.  I felt she was in good hands at the point and that's when I took my dad home.

0 comments: